About this download
For customers of Walkman NWZ-W26x series, we provide Firmware Recovery Formatter Version 1.00 Download Service. Please read carefully the following instructions.
Target PC environments
- Windows 8 Pro
- Windows 8
- Windows 7 Ultimate
- Windows 7 Professional
- Windows 7 Home Premium
- Windows 7 Home Basic
- Windows Vista Ultimate (Service Pack 1 or later)
- Windows Vista Business (Service Pack 1 or later)
- Windows Vista Home Premium (Service Pack 1 or later)
- Windows Vista Home Basic (Service Pack 1 or later)
- Windows XP Professional (Service Pack 3 or later)
- Windows XP Home Edition (Service Pack 3 or later)
(Not supported 64 bit version OS for Windows XP Professional.)
Windows 8: Pentium lll 1GHz or higher
Windows 7: Pentium lll 1GHz or higher
Windows Vista: Pentium lll 800MHz or higher
Windows XP: Pentium lll 450MHz or higher
Windows 8: 1GB or more (32bit version) / 2GB or more (64bit version)
Windows 7: 1GB or more (32bit version)/ 2GB or more (64bit version)
Windows Vista: 512MB or more
Windows XP: 256MB or more
Windows 8: 1024 x768 or higher
Windows 7/Vista/XP: 800x600 pixels or higher (recommended 1,024 x768 or higher)
- Display Color
Windows 8: 16bit or higher
Windows 7/Vista/XP: 8bit or higher (16bit recommended)
- Windows 7
- Windows 8
- Windows Vista
- Windows XP
When recovering, the unit is needed to have a free space about 30MB.
Please confirm the size from the steps below.
- Connect your WALKMAN to your computer.
- Under USB storage, confirm that the Available Space is at least 30 MB.
Please transfer all tracks and data from the unit to the computer in advance, since the tracks and data may be lost when updating as they are remained on the unit.
We cannot guarantee in case the tracks and the data are damaged or deleted by this update.
In case if you cannot confirm the size of free space due to WALKMAN malfunction, please try Recovery procedure.
- The recovery program download is started by clicking Download button. Following the displayed dialog box, save the NWZ-W260_V1_00.exe in your PC.
- After completion of the download, connect your unit to your PC by USB connection.
- Quit all software running on your PC.
- Double click the saved NWZ-W260_V1_00.exe file, and work by following displayed massages.
* Please do not disconnect the unit from the PC during recovering.
* During recovering, USB connection is automatically controlled and Connecting USB indication is off with the control. Also, the USB disconnect message may appear on some PCs.
- When the Completed message is displayed, click Finish button.
Note: When downloading the program and recovering the firmware, log on to the computer with the administrator name or with any name which belongs to the administrator.
If you are Windows 8 user , Windows 7 user or Windows Vista user, “Windows needs your permission to continue” message appears in the User Account Control dialog box. Click Continue to proceed, and follow the announcements.
Errors during recover
- In case the PC show as “The file cannot be transferred because there is not enough available disk space in the device.”
Delete some songs in the unit, or transfer to PC to available disk space more than 30MB. Then, start to recover, again.
- In the case the PC show as “No device to be updated is connect currently. Connect the device to update before proceeding.”
The recovery may have failed. Click OK. Reconnect the unit to your PC by USB connection. After, start to recover again.
- In the case that is not able to recover your unit after the recovering tool executed. Consult your nearest Sony dealer.