Conficker Worm Virus
Information About Conficker Worm Virus
1. The McAfee® Web site, Symantec® Web site, or other security-related Web sites cannot be accessed.
2. Slow network connections.
3. Account lockout policies are activated.
4. Automatic Updates, Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS), Windows® Defender, and Error Reporting Services are disabled.
5. Domain controllers respond slowly to client requests.
NOTE: It is possible your computer may be infected with this virus and not show any symptoms.
If a Conficker virus infection is suspected, the infected computer should be removed from the network. Most anti-virus software manufacturers have released free removal tools that can verify the presence of a Conficker infection and remove the worm. Here are links to a couple of free removal tools:
Microsoft® Windows® Malicious Software Removal Tool
W32.Downadup Removal Tool provided by Symantec
NOTE: If you are unable to download the removal tool on the infected computer, download it using another computer and transfer it to the infected computer with a CD or USB drive.
More detailed information about the Conficker worm and manual removal instructions are available in Microsoft KB Article ID 962007.