How to change the username of a Microsoft account in Windows 8.
If you have associated a Microsoft account with your computer, the username of that account will be the username that is displayed in the log on and the new Windows User Interface (UI) screens of the Windows 8 operating. If you wish to change that username, you will need to change the username of associated Microsoft account.
Follow these steps to change the username of a Microsoft account.
- Point to (but do not click) the lower-right or top-right corner of the screen, and then click to select the Search charm.
NOTE: The Windows Logo + Q key combination will also take you to the Search screen.
- In the Search screen, click the Apps category, and then click the Internet Explorer icon.
- In the Internet Explorer window, go to https://mid.live.com/.
- At the Microsoft account website, sign in to your Microsoft account using the appropriate username and password, and then click the Sign In button.
- At the Microsoft account screen, on the Overview tab, click Edit name.
- At the Profile screen, enter the desired new names in the First name and Last name fields, and then click the Save button.
- In the Internet Explorer window, click the X in the upper right corner to close the window.
- Switch to a local account and then switch back to the Microsoft account using the same email address that you just changed the name for in step 5.
NOTE: Switching to a local account and then back to the Microsoft account will force a refresh of the Microsoft account screens to reflect the account changes.