How to perform a System Recovery from outside of Windows in Windows 8 and 8.1.
Follow these steps to perform a System Recovery from outside of Windows.
- Press and hold the Power button until the computer is turned off completely.
- This procedure must be performed from a complete power off state.
- When the Shutdown option is chosen in the Windows 8 operating system, the computer does not completely power off but essentially logs off all users and then enters a hibernate state. This is known as a Hybrid Shutdown. This new shutdown/startup behavior allows connected hardware to remain initialized and is faster and easier than a full system re-initialization.
- On the keyboard, press the Assist button.
NOTE: The location of the Assist button will depend on your specific computer model. To see the location of the Assist button on your computer, refer to the supplied instruction manuals.
- The computer will start to the VAIOCare | Rescue Mode screen.
- Recover or maintain your System [F10] - This options allows you to perform a system recovery and return the computer back to factory condition.
- Start from media (USB device/optical disc) [F11] - This options allows you to start the computer from a CD/DVD disc or USB device.
- Start from network [F12] - This options allows you to start the computer from a networked drive.
- Start BIOS [F2] - This options allow you to enter and make modifications to the BIOS.
- Shut down [F4] - This option will shut down the Computer.
- Start Windows [Esc] - This option will allow you to start the computer in Windows normally.
- Select language [F1] - This option will allow you to select a different language.
- Press the F10 key to select the Recover or maintain your System [F10] option.
- In the Choose your keyboard layout screen, click to select the preferred keyboard layout.
- In the Choose an option, click to select the Troubleshooter option.
- In the Troubleshooter screen, click to select the Recovery and maintenance option.
- In the Recovery Tool screen, click to select Windows 8.
- In the VAIO Care (Rescue Mode) screen, click the Start recovery wizard option.
- In the Do you need to rescue your data? window, click Yes, I'd like to rescue my data.
NOTE: If you do not have any data on your computer that you need to back up, click the Skip Rescue button and proceed to step 16.
- Connect an external storage device to the computer, such as a USB hard drive or thumb drive.
- In the Select Rescue type window, click Easy rescue.
- If you would like to manually select files to back up, click Custom Rescue and then follow the on-screen instructions.
- The software will automatically detect your data.
- Click to select the drive where you would like to back up your data and then click the Next button.
NOTE: This screen displays the amount of disc space required and the amount of free space on the external drive.
- In the Confirm options and start rescue window, click the Start Rescue button.
NOTE: A progress window will show the status of the backup.
- In the Rescue has completed successfully window, click the Next button.
- In the Are you sure you want to start recovery window, click to select Yes, I'm sure and then click the Start Recovery button.
NOTE: A status window is displayed indicating the progress of the different applications. No action is required. This process may take up to 2 hours and the computer may restart several times.
- In the Recovery complete window, click the Restart button.
- Once the computer restarts, follow the on-screen instructions to set up the operating system and complete the system recovery.