Article ID:480930(modified 04 Jan 2012)
NEX-5A, NEX-5D, NEX-5H, NEX-5K
Thank you for your continued interest in Sony products.
Sony is offering a firmware upgrade for Interchangeable Lens Digital Camera NEX-5.
Improvements after firmware upgrade
Benefits provided by previous upgrade program (Ver.04) and included in version 05.
- Addition of the Picture Effect function.
- Addition of the Peaking function in manual focus mode.
Benefits provided by previous upgrade program (Ver.03) and included in version 04.
- Addition of the function to customize soft keys.
It is now possible to customise the functions of two soft keys mounted on the camera's rear panel.
- Addition of the Menu start function.
When 'Menu' is selected, there is now the option to display either the main menu screen or the last parameter set.
- Improvement of the operability of the MF Assist function
An enlarged image portion can now be displayed on screen with user-selectable duration while in MF (Manual Focus) Assist mode. MF Assist operation has also been improved.
- Improvement of the operability of menu item selection
The menu operation has been simplified.
- Maintaining the aperture setting in the movie recording mode
HD video can now be shot while maintaining a constant aperture setting.
- Support for the autofocus function with A-mount lenses
Important note: If you use α lenses in combination with your camera using the LA-EA1 Mount Adaptor, please update the LA-EA1 Mount Adaptor. Click here to access LA-EA1 Firmware Upgrade Ver.02 With NEX-3 / NEX-5 / NEX-C3 (Apple Macintosh).
- Enlarging the image when Release w/o Lens is set to Enable.
Benefits provided by previous upgrade program (Ver.02) and included in version 04.
- 3D Sweep Panorama function has been added.
- Improvement of 'normal' 2D Sweep Panorama shooting.
- Decreased power drain when the camera is switched off.
- Quicker start-up in low-light conditions.
Applicable firmware version
Interchangeable Lens Digital Camera NEX-5 with firmware version Ver.04 or earlier.
How to check the firmware version
- Select Menu → Setup → Version on the camera.
- The firmware version is displayed. If your firmware version is Ver.05 or later, the upgrade is not required.
- Mac OS X v.10.5 – 10.7
* The 64-bit kernel is not supported.
* In case of v.10.7, start up by 32 bit mode
Other system requirements
- CPU: Intel processor
- Hard disk space: 200MB or more
- RAM: 512MB or more
* Please close all other application software before upgrading the firmware.
- USB cable supplied with the camera
- Power source for the camera
Fully charged rechargeable battery pack NP-FW50 or AC adaptor AC-PW20 (sold separately)
Note: The upgrade can be performed only when the remaining battery level is (three marks) or more. We recommend that you use a fully charged battery or the AC adaptor AC-PW20 (sold separately).
File name: NEX-5V5_Update1112a.dmg
File size: 64.3 MB (64,257,623 bytes)
Updated on: 15th December 2011