for the list of applications that may not function as usual or will be removed upon installation of Windows 10 and using the VAIO Update for Windows 10 Upgrade tool.
Step 1 - Prepare your PC before Installing Windows 10
1. Make sure your Sony VAIO PC is supported for Windows 10.
If you have not already done so, go to our Windows 10 Applicable Model Page
and check your model number.
2. Remove any third party devices and peripheral equipment connected to your PC.
3. Make sure your PC is plugged into a working power outlet using the Sony AC adapter. Do not use battery power while performing this process.
Recovery Disk (Strongly recommended)
- Recovery media is part of the recommended process to perform the upgrade install
- Recovery media also enables you to return your PC back to the original OS if necessary.
Alternatively, you may choose to purchase Recovery
5. Perform a backup of your data using the File History feature (Strongly Recommended)
This enables you to recover your personal data in case of loss. Click here
to to set up and use the File History feature to automatically backup personal data files.
6. Make sure you have the Product Keys for any of your software that requires one for installation
(example: Norton Anti-Virus, Kaspersky, Microsoft Office)
7. Connect your PC to the Internet either via Ethernet cable or Wi-Fi.
8. Launch “VAIO Update” and this will install the latest VAIO software to your PC
9. Launch “Windows Update’ to make sure your PC has all the latest Microsoft OS updates
10. Launch your anti-virus software and check if it needs to be updated prior to upgrading to Windows 10.
Your anti-virus software might be uninstalled during the Windows 10 upgrade process if it has not been updated to the latest version.
Please visit your anti-virus software vendor’s web site to confirm.
Step 2 - Confirm available space
1. Confirm Hard disk / SSD available space
You need at least 20GB available space on your Hard disk or SSD. The required disk space may differ based on PC configuration.
To increase disk space, you can refer here
Step 3 – Begin the VAIO Update for Windows 10 Upgrade Process
1. Download and run the VAIO Update for Windows 10 Upgrade tool - VUforWin10_1Upg.exe
2. [VAIO Update is running in "OS Upgrade Mode"] appears, click OK
3. Click on Software Update
Confirm all of the items are checked, click Update
This step will insure you have all the latest VAIO software before upgrading to Windows 10.
4. VAIO Update dialog is display, “An update program or software requires a shutdown or restart after installation. This may affect other software that is running or waiting to run. Do you want to start the installation?”, click Yes
5. [Windows 10 Upgrade preparation completed. Please upgrade to
Windows 10] dialog appears, click OK
6. Your Sony VAIO PC system will reboot automatically.
7. VAIO Update (OS Upgrade Mode) confirmation of successful installation will appear, click OK
8. Your Sony VAIO PC is now ready to upgrade to Windows 10Upgrade your VAIO to Windows 10
Step 4 – Install the Windows 10 Operation System
Note that you can reinstall Windows 10 at no cost only if you have previously upgraded to Windows 10 and activated before 29th July 2016 (upgrade offer end date).
Should you require a new Windows 10 license, please contact Microsoft for purchasing details.
1. Download and run the Media Creation Tool
from the Microsoft website and start upgrading. Please follow the instructions from Microsoft for the installation.
2. Windows 10 installation process may take a while as it progresses through different phases of copying files, applying Windows and configuring settings.
3. Once installation has completed, your system will restart and boot into the Windows 10 desktop. Installation of the Windows 10 operating system is now complete, but you still need to install updated drivers, applications and utilities for Windows 10.
Step 5 – Install drivers, applications and utilities on your PC after installing Windows 10
1. Once you have successfully installed Windows 10, you can begin to install updated VAIO software and drivers
a. VAIO Update (OS Upgrade Mode) starts up automatically after the system reboots.
b. Click Software Update
and confirm all of the items are checked, click Update
c. VAIO Update dialog will appear, “An update program or software requires a shutdown or restart after installation. This may affect other software that is running or waiting to run. Do you want to start the installation?”, click Yes
d. Once all the updated software has successfully been installed, “VAIO Update is leaving “OS Upgrade Mode” message will appear, click OK
e. Your VAIO system will reboot automatically.
f. After the system has rebooted and boots to the Desktop, VAIO Update confirmation of successful installation window will appear, click OK
2. Run "VAIO Update” again by clicking on Software Updates
and install the latest VAIO software to your VAIO for Windows 10.
3. Launch “Windows Update’ to make sure your PC has all the latest Microsoft OS updates for Windows 10.
- Sony has confirmed the Windows 10 (Version 1507) upgrade process after performing a full system recovery of the VAIO factory image.
Several Sony exclusive store applications might not be able to be installed from the Windows Store on Windows 10 due to a Windows Store limitation. If you are using any Sony apps from the Windows Store, it is recommended not to uninstall these applications as you may not be able to reinstall them.