Full Specifications & Features
Size & Weight
- Dimensions (W x H x D)
- Approx. 138.0mm x 68.1mm x 278.7mm (5.44inches x 2.69 inches x 10.98inches)
- Approx. 2,490g (87.84oz)
- Battery Life - Continuous Playback Music
- MP3 (128kbps) / Stereo mini-jack: Approx. 10 hrs,MP3 (128kbps) / Balanced standard-jack: Approx. 10 hrs,AAC (256kbps) / Stereo mini-jack: Approx. 10 hrs,AAC (256kbps) / Balanced standard-jack: Approx. 10 hrs,FLAC (96kHz / 24bit) / Stereo mini-jack: Approx. 9 hrs,FLAC (96kHz / 24bit) / Balanced standard-jack: Approx. 9 hrs,FLAC (192kHz / 24bit) / Stereo mini-jack: Approx. 8 hrs,FLAC (192kHz / 24bit) / Balanced standard-jack: Approx. 8 hrs,DSD (2.8224MHz / 1bit) / Stereo mini-jack: Approx. 9 hrs,DSD (2.8224MHz / 1bit) / Balanced standard-jack: Approx. 9 hrs,DSD (5.6448MHz / 1bit) / Stereo mini-jack: Approx. 9 hrs,DSD (5.6448MHz / 1bit) / Balanced standard-jack: Approx. 9 hrs,DSD (11.2896MHz / 1bit) / Stereo mini-jack: Approx. 9 hrs,DSD (11.2896MHz / 1bit) / Balanced standard-jack: Approx. 9 hrs
- Battery Life - Continuous Playback Music Notes
- ・The values shown in this topic are the approximate battery life when content is played continuously at the default settings.,・Even if the player is turned off for an extended period, a small amount of battery power is still consumed.,・Battery life may vary depending on volume setting, conditions of use and ambient temperature.,・The battery is consumed considerably when the screen is on.,・The battery life may become about 10% shorter when some of the sound quality settings are active.,・A Bluetooth connection will shorten the battery life by up to 45% depending on the following conditions.,・Format of the content.,・Settings of the connected device.
- Charging Time (Quick Charge)
- Built-in battery
- Built-in Rechargeable lithium-ion Battery
- Charging and Power supply
- AC adaptor (supplied)
- DC IN charging
- Approx. 4 hrs
- Memory Size
- 256GB,Micro SD card x 2 slots,Micro SD, Micro SDHC, Micro SDXC
Playback & display
- Music Searching Methods
- All Songs Artist Release Year Playlists Album Genre Composer Hi-Res Recent Transfers SensMe Channels Folder
- Music Play Mode
- Shuffle Playback,Repeat Off,Repeat 1 Song,Repart All,All Range,Selected Range
- Drag and Drop
- Display Resolution
- 3.1-inch (7.8 cm),WVGA(800 x 480 Pixels)
- Display Type
- TFT colour display
- Sound Effects
- Direct Source (Direct) ,10 Band equalizer,Tone control,DSEE HX,Dynamic Normalizer,Vinyl Processor
- Audio Playback
- MP3 ( .MP3): 32 - 320kbps (Supports variable bitrate (VBR) ) / 32kHz 44.1kHz 48kHz,WMA ( .WMA): 32 - 192kbps (Supports variable bitrate (VBR) ) / 44.1kHz,FLAC ( .flac): 16bit 24bit / 8-384kHz,WAV ( .WAV): 16bit 24bit 32bit (Float / Integer) / 8-384kHz,AAC ( .mp4, .m4a, .3gp): 16-320kbps / 8-48kHz,HE-AAC ( .mp4, .m4a, .3gp): 32-144kbps / 8-48kHz,Apple Lossless ( .mp4, .m4a): 16bit 24bit / 8-384kHz,AIFF ( .aif, .aiff, .afc, .aifc): 16bit 24bit 32bit / 8-384kHz,DSD ( .dsf, .dff): 1bit / 2.8224MHz 5.6448MHz 11.2896 MHz,APE ( .ape): 8bit 16bit 24bit / 8-192kHz (Fast, Normal, High) ,MQA ( .mqa.flac): Supported
- Audio Playback Notes
- ・Copyright protected files cannot be played back.,・Sampling frequency may not correspond to all encoders.,・Non-standard bit rates or non-guaranteed bit rates are included depending on the Sampling frequency.,・Files that are 4 GB (APE is 2GB) or larger cannot be played back.,・This product recognizes audio sources exceeding CD quality (44.1 kHz / 16 bit quantization) and DAT quality (48 kHz / 16 bit quantization) as High-resolution Audio.The "HR" symbol is displayed for high-resolution audio sources.
Headphone Out (Stereo mini-jack)
- 20-40,000 Hz
- Maximum Power Output (JEITA 16Ω/mW)
- 570mW + 570mW (High Gain)
Headphone Out (Balanced standard-jack)
- 20-40,000 Hz
- Maximum Power Output (JEITA 16Ω/mW)
- 1,500mW + 1,500mW (High Gain)
- Operating System
- Sony original OS
- Digital Noise Cancelling
- USB DAC Mode
- Headphone: Stereo mini-jack, Balanced standard-jack,USB Type-C port, Hi-Speed USB (USB 2.0 compliant)
- Wireless Capabilities
- Communication system: Bluetooth Specification Version 4.2,NFC: Yes,Supported Bluetooth profiles:A2DP, AVRCP,Supported Codecs (Transmission):SBC, LDAC, aptX, aptX HD,Supported Codecs (Reception):SBC, LDAC, AAC
What's In The Box
- USB Type-C™cable (USB-A to USB-C) (1)
- AC adaptor ACDP-045L01 (1)
- AC power cord *
- Carrying case (1)
- Cleaning cloth (1)
- Startup Guide
- Instruction Manual
Take your digital music collection to another level with High-Resolution Audio. By capturing and reproducing digital audio at a higher rate than CD (24-bit/192kHz and beyond), High-Resolution Audio allows you to get closer to the original studio recording and enjoy your music just as the artist intended.
Lose nothing in translation
The DMP-Z1 supports files up to DSD native 11.2 MHz and PCM playback up to 384kHz/32-bit, which means all the authentic detail of the original recording is retained.
4.4mm balanced connection and 3.5mm headphone jack engineered with KIMBER KABLE®
Clear stereo separation and soundstaging is delivered by a 4.4mm balanced headphone jack, which is compatible with a broad range of premium headphones. Internal wiring for both the 4.4mm and standard, unbalanced, 3.5mm jacks use thick KIMBER KABLE® for signal integrity.
Gold plated volume control
Enjoy stereo channel precision right to the headphone output with the custom-crafted passive-balanced volume potentiometer. A copper and gold plated brass ensures absolute sonic purity across all dynamic levels.
Power pure audio everywhere with built-in battery
Five battery cells drive both digital and analogue amplification circuits independently for enhanced dynamics and reduced internal electromagnetic interference. By isolating the power delivery from conventional AC power supplies, you enjoy both a more open treble response and tighter bass delivery without the harshness transmitted through AC line noise.
High quality analog amplifier
By incorporating an audiophile-grade, high-power headphone amplifier, the DMP-Z1 realises 1500mW (16Ω) to drive even the most demanding headphones.
Dual DAC stereo architecture
Exceptional stereo imaging and an enhanced dynamic range is delivered through two independent AK4497EQ mono Digital-Analogue Convertors (DACs), especially when matched with balanced headphone listening. An exceptionally low noise floor and native support for ultra-high-resolution audio formats ensures absolutely pristine analogue audio translation.
Headphone jack with 4.4/3.5mm KIMBER KABLE®
Clear stereo separation and soundstaging is delivered by a 4.4mm balanced headphone jack which is compatible with a broad range of premium headphones. Internal wiring for both the 4.4mm and standard, unbalanced, 3.5mm jack uses thick KIMBER KABLE® for signal integrity.
Isolated circuit board reduces noise
To keep sound transparent and minimise distortion, the analog board is separated from the digital board on the H-shaped chassis. This cuts noise and realises solid ground.
Rigid frame structure
To ensure minimal resonance and vibration are transmitted between the isolated boards, all circuit boards of the DMP-Z1 are mounted on a solid, frame-based, chassis. This lessens external electrical or seismic interference so that each circuit can achieve optimal performance.
Gold plated oxygen free copper (OFC) plate
An OFC plate on the circuit board with gold plating (minimum purity 99.96) reduces contact resistance, giving a clearer audio quality. Gold plating also prevents oxidization and improves ground stability too.
New EDLC capacitor for improved battery performance
Five electric double-layer capacitors (EDLC) with large capacity and low ESR (Equivalent Series Resistance) supply power from the batteries of the DMP-Z1. This means no sudden falls in voltage, and power is stably supplied to DAC and amplifier.
Newly-developed FT CAP (High polymer capacitor) for voltage stability
The DMP-Z1 features newly-developed FT CAP high polymer capacitors in the power supplies for the DAC and amplifier, which inhibits voltage spikes that could cause subtle audio distortions. The result is clear, transparent melodic lines and tight bass line control, regardless of your choice of music.
Enhanced power supply for the audio circuit
Engineered specifically for portable performance, the power circuit dedicated to the analogue audio board makes an ideal pairing for the DC battery-power of the DMP-Z1. An extremely low-noise voltage regulator and DC/DC converter ensure pristine power is delivered to the amp, with enough headroom to comfortably drive even the highest impedance headphones with maximum dynamics and a minimal noise floor.
Premium, audio-grade lead-free solder containing gold
The all-important headphone outputs and other places of the DMP-Z1 feature newly developed lead-free solder with the addition of gold to enhance the signal flow. The exceptional conductivity of gold ensures the absolute minimum signal loss possible, for full dynamic range delivery.
Shielded OFC cables for improved channel separation
OFC (Oxygen-free cable) shielded cables are designed for lower resistance and a superior signal to noise ratio. Separate cables transmit the balanced audio signals for right and left channels independently, to prevent cross-talk and interference and ensure a perfectly presented soundstage.
Optimised circuit board layout
By isolating the power supply, digital circuitry, and analogue amplification in the circuit design, the DMP-Z1 has dramatically lower electronic interference, reduced noise and improved overall sound clarity.
Super low phase noise crystal oscillator
Large volumes of data are processed without losing sound quality, through two newly-developed crystal oscillators, which keep noise to a minimum.
Give all PCM music the DSD treatment with DSD Remastering Engine
PCM (Pulse Code Modulation) audio is resampled into a 5.6MHz DSD (Direct Stream Digital) ultra-high-frequency 1-bit audio stream. The single-bit stream delivered to the DAC has a character far closer to that of analogue – so your music is delivered exactly as the artist intended.
Give every track the sound of vinyl with Vinyl Processor
Get lost again in the richness of the melodies and dynamics of your favourite albums by giving back the character of vinyl to your digital tracks. Subtle reproduction of the low-frequency resonance, tone-arm resistance and surface noise deliver an authentic listening experience.
New DSEE HX™ analyses song type by AI
Audio upscaling is improved even further by our new DSEE HX™ processor which intelligently recognises instrumentation and musical genres. Realism and liveliness of different instruments, including the human voice, are inherently characterised by high frequency harmonics. By identifying instruments, and the relative energy of the audio, our enhanced DSEE HX™ can accurately rebuild audio lost during digital compression, for a full fidelity experience even with compressed audio formats.
Optimised UI design
A simple, intuitive touchscreen experience makes it easy to change settings, and a spectrum analyser visualises frequency amplitude instantly. Complete with dedicated control keys, the DMP-Z1 lets you choose between UI interface and a more tactile experience.
256GB internal storage & 2 Micro SD Slots
With 256GB internal storage and 2x micro SD slots, there’s room for all your music.
See everything with a mirror finished aluminium panel
For added clarity the LCD panel is made from polished glass - coupled with lapping aluminium panels and a gilded volume control, the DMP-Z1 shines sleekly like a glass mirror.
USB DAC Function for higher-quality music
When connected using the supplied USB cable, the DMP-Z1 replaces your computer's regular sound processing with its own highly-tuned hardware for premium sound quality.
BLUETOOTH® receiver mode to give your smartphone music a boost
Stream music through the DMP-Z1 via Bluetooth® and a smartphone connection and give all your music a DMP-Z1 boost. Favourite tracks will benefit from digital to audio conversion and DSEE HX upscaling, as well as the Vinyl Processor and Equaliser.
Battery life for music playback
Up to approximately 10 hours of playback for non High-Resolution and approximately 9 hours of playback for High-Resolution.
What's in the box
It comes with a USB Type-C™ cable, AC adapter, AC power cord, carrying case and cleaning cloth.
The carrying case is both stylish and sturdy, with soft padding to keep the unit firmly in place when you’re on the move.
Fine Sound Resistor
The surface mounted Fine Sound Resistor ensures even, effective distribution of power to the circuit components, for consistent sound quality.
The DMP-Z1 supports MQA (Master Quality Authenticated) files for another way to enjoy music.