How do I view 4K and HDR content from an external HDMI device connected to an Android TV™/Google TV™?
4K (50p/60p or 100/120p) Content:
Note: Some models do not support the 4K Enhanced Format (18Gbps or above) such as 4K 100p/120p. For details regarding Enhanced Format, refer to the Types of 8K or 4K (50p/60p or 100p/120p) video signals supported by the TV article.
- Prepare an HDMI cable suitable for the video signal to be played.
- To view content in 4K 50p/60p: Use a High-Speed HDMI cable to connect the TV to an HDMI device that supports 4K.
- To view content in 4K Enhanced Format (18Gbps): Use a Premium High-Speed HDMI cable to connect the TV to an HDMI device that supports 4K.
- To view content in 4K Enhanced Format (18Gbps or above): Use an Ultra High-Speed HDMI cable to connect the TV to an HDMI device that supports 4K
- Connect the HDMI cable to a compatible HDMI terminal on the TV.
Note: Determining if an HDMI terminal is compatible depends on the TV model. For additional details, refer to the What functions are supported on each of the HDMI terminals? article.
- Open the Settings screen to set HDMI signal format. How to open the Settings screen.
- Select Channels & Inputs or Watching TV.
Note: If Channels & Inputs or Watching TV is not shown, skip this step.
- Select External inputs.
- Select HDMI signal format and set to Enhanced format, Enhanced Format (Dolby Vision), Enhanced Format(VRR), Enhanced Format (8K), or Enhanced Format (4K120, 8K) depending on your TV model.
Note: The setting items differ depending on the video signal and TV model. For additional details, refer to the Types of 8K or 4K (50p/60p or 100p/120p) video signals supported by the TV article.
HDR (High Dynamic Range) Content:
Follow these steps to play HDR content:
- Prepare a TV that supports HDR content.
- To see if your TV supports HDR content and check the compatibility of the HDMI terminal, refer to the Is my Android TV/Google TV compatible with HDR? article.
- Some HDMI terminals may not support 4K (60p) with HDR.
- The 2K model W80xG series TVs only support HDMI connected PlayStation4 HDR game titles and Netflix and YouTube™ app HDR video.
- Connect the HDR-supported HDMI device to the TV.