IMPORTANT: This option is available on most VAIO computers, but not all. If the Repair You Computer option in not available in step 3, this procedure is not supported on your computer model.
- Turn off the computer.
- Turn on the computer and then at the VAIO screen, press the F8 key.
- In the Advanced Boot Options screen, verify Repair Your Computer is selected and then press the Enter key.
- In the System Recovery Options window, click the Next button.
- Next to User name:, click the down arrow, and then click to select an account with Administrator rights.
- Next to Password:, type the appropriate password for the account selected and then clicks the OK button.
- In the Choose a recovery tool window, click to select the appropriate option below:
- Startup Repair will automatically resolve certain issues that are preventing the operating system from starting.
- System Restore will return your computer to a previous configuration of the operating system when it was working properly.
- Windows Complete PC Restore will restore your entire computer using a backup you created earlier using the Windows Backup and Restore Center.
NOTE: This option is called System Image Recovery in the Windows 7 operating system.
- Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool will check your computer for memory hardware errors.
- Command Prompt will open a command prompt window that can be used by advanced users and technical support personnel to perform troubleshooting on the hard drive or the operating system.
- VAIO Recovery Center will launch the VAIO Recovery Center application.