The File History feature within the operating system is a simple way of backing up your personal data files by saving copies of them to a specific external storage device. This allows you to easily get those files back if they are ever lost or damaged.
IMPORTANT: An external storage device must be connected before attempting to enable and use the File History feature.
- Press the Windows Logo + X key combination on the keyboard and, from the list, click Control Panel.
NOTE: Because the Control Panel is a traditional Windows Desktop application, if you were not already there, the interface will change to the Desktop and the Control Panel window will open.
- In the Control Panel window, click System and Security.
- In the System and Security window, click File History.
- In the File History window, click the Turn on button.
- Once File History is turned on, click Advance settings.
- In the Advance settings screen, click to specify how often you want to save copies of your files, and how long to keep saved copies.