- Download and install any updated drivers before beginning this procedure.
- Because each of these steps represents a possible solution to this issue, check the audio status after completing each step.
- It is advised to use the VAIO Care troubleshooters and hardware diagnostics to help resolve your issue.
- If an application is in use that has its own volume control, check that the volume is turned up.
- Make sure the sound device is selected in Control Panel.
- Ensure the speakers are connected properly.
- If available, use a different set of speakers or headphones.
- If a different set of speakers works, the issue was caused by a problem with the original speakers. If this is the case, contact the manufacturer of the original speakers for further assistance.
- The speakers should be connected to the headphone jack on most VAIO computers.
- On some notebook computer models, when the computer is connected to the docking station or port replicator, the internal speakers are disabled.
- If the speakers have a volume control, ensure the volume is turned up.
- If the computer has a volume control dial on the monitor, verify that this is turned up.
NOTE: On models with integrated speakers, the volume dial is located on the side of the unit.
- Ensure the speakers are turned on.
- If the speakers have a mute button, ensure it is off.
- If the speakers are powered by batteries, check that the batteries are inserted properly and that they are charged.
- Ensure the volume controls are turned up and not muted in the operating system.
- If the computer is a notebook, press Fn + F4, and then press the ARROW keys to increase the volume.
NOTE: Some notebooks computers have external audio controls. Refer to the computer User Guide for the location of the audio controls.
- Reset the system BIOS.
- Perform a system restore to a date when the program was working.
- Reinstall the device driver for sound by removing the existing driver in Device Manager and restarting the computer.
- Perform a system recovery of the computer.
The troubleshooting steps listed above should resolve your issue. If you have completed all of the steps and the issue is not resolved, service may be required.