A local account provides all the traditional benefits of local authentication on a Windows computer. In contrast, a Microsoft account is an online account that will allow you to download apps from the Windows Store and automatically sync settings between different computers to obtain the same look and feel on each, including settings like browser favorites and history. A Microsoft account also allows you to use features like PC Syncing, which makes it easy to save your personal files and settings to the OneDrive online storage service.
From a Local user account, follow these steps to log in to the computer using a Microsoft account:
- Click the Start button, and in the Start menu, click Settings.
NOTE: The Windows Logo + I key combination will also take you to the Settings screen.
- In the Settings window, click Accounts.
- In the Accounts windows, under Your account, click Sign in with a Microsoft account instead.
- In the Make it yours window, enter the email address and password for your Microsoft account, and then click the Sign in button.
NOTE: If you do not have a Microsoft account, click Create one and then follow the onscreen instructions to complete the account creation process.
- At the Passwords are so yesterday screen, click to select either the PIN me! or Skip this step option.
NOTE: If you select the PIN me! option, follow the onscreen instructions to set up a PIN and then click the OK button.
- In the Accounts windows, under You need to verify your identity on this PC, click Verify.
NOTE: The need to verify the account is a security measure to ensure that the person connecting to the account is actually the person who created the account. There are a number of options you can use to verify your identity, which may include an alternate email address or a phone number. These options are dependent on the information that you provided when the Microsoft account was set up.
- Click to select the verification option you wish to use, provide the needed information, and then click the Next button.
- Once you have received it, enter the code provided, and then click the Next button.
You are now connected using a Microsoft account.