Full Specifications & Features
Full Specifications & Features
- Sensor Type
- 1.0-type (13.2mm x 8.8mm) Exmor RS CMOS sensor, aspect ratio 3:2
- Number of Pixels (Effective)
- Approx. 20.1 Megapixels
- Number of Pixels (total)
- Approx. 21.0 Megapixels
- Lens type
- ZEISS Vario-Sonnar T* Lens, 10 elements in 9 groups (9 aspheric elements including AA lens)
- F-number (Maximum Aperture)
- F1.8 (W) -2.8 (T)
- Auto / On (3 steps) / Off
- Focal length
- f=8.8-25.7mm, Still Image3:2 f=24-70mm, Still Image4:3 f=25-73mm, Still Image16:9 f=26-76mm, Still Image1:1 f=30.5-89mm
- Focus Range (From the Front of the Lens)
- iAuto: AF (W: Approx. 5 cm (0.17 ft.) to Infinity, T: Approx. 30 cm (0.99 ft.) to Infinity) / Program Auto: AF (W: Approx. 5 cm (0.17 ft.) to Infinity, T: Approx.30 cm (0.99 ft.) to Infinity)
- Optical Zoom
- 2.9x (Optical Zoom during movie recording)
- Clear Image Zoom (Still Image)
- 20M Approx. 5.8x / 10M Approx. 8.2x / 5.0M Approx. 11x / VGA Approx. 44x
- Clear Image Zoom (Movie)
- 4K: Approx. 4.35x;HD: Approx. 5.8x
- Digital Zoom (Still Image)
- 20M Approx.11x / 10M Approx.16x / 5.0M Approx.23x / VGA Approx.44x
- Digital Zoom (Movie)
- Digital Zoom Approx.11
- Screen Type
- 7.5 cm (3.0type) (4:3) / 1,228,800 dots / Xtra Fine / TFT LCD
- Brightness Control
- Manual (5 steps) / Sunny Weather
- Adjustable Angle
- Up by approx. 180 degrees, down by approx. 45degrees
- Display Selector (Finder/Lcd)
- Auto / EVF (Manual) / Monitor (Manual)
- MS Assist Magnification
- Screen Type/Number of Dots
- 0.39-type electronic viewfinder (OLED) , 2,359,296dots
- Field Coverage
- Approx. 0.59x with 50mm lens at infinity, -1m(diopter) (35mm equiv.)
- Eye Point
- Approx.20mm from the eyepiece, 19.2mm from the eyepiece frame at -1m-1 (diopter) (CIPA standard)
- Dioptre Adjustment
- -4.0 to +3.0m-1
- Image Processing Engine
- Yes (BIONZ X)
- SteadyShot:Optical, Optical SteadyShot Active Mode (for Movie):Yes (Intelligent Active Mode, Optical type with electronic compensation, Anti Rolling type)
- Focus Mode
- Single-shot AF, Automatic AF, Continuous AF, DMF, Manual Focus
- Focus Area
- Wide (315 points (phase-detection AF) , 25 points (contrast-detection AF) ) , Center, Flexible Spot (S / M / L) , Expanded Flexible Spot, Lock on AF (Wide / Center / Flexible Spot (S / M / L) / Expanded Flexible Spot)
- LOCK ON AF
- Light Metering Mode
- Multi Pattern, Center Weighted, Spot
- Exposure Compensation
- + / - 3.0EV, 1 / 3EV step
- ISO Sensitivity (Still Image)(Recommended Exposure Index)
- Auto(ISO125-12800, selectable with upper / lower limit),125/160/200/250/320/400/500/640/800/1000/1250/1600/2000/2500/3200/4000/5000/6400/8000/10000/12800 (Extendable to ISO80/100),Multi-Frame NR:Auto(ISO125-12800), 200/400/800/1600/3200/6400/12800/25600
- ISO Sensitivity (Movie)
- Auto: (ISO125Level-ISO12800Level, selectable with upper / lower limit) , 125 / 160 / 200 / 250 / 320 / 400 / 500 / 640 / 800 / 1000 / 1250 / 1600 / 2000 / 2500 / 3200 / 4000 / 5000 / 6400 / 8000 / 10000 / 12800
- Minimum Illumination (Movie)
- Auto: 1.2lux (Shutter Speed 1 / 30")
- White Balance Modes
- Auto, Daylight, Shade, Cloudy, Incandescent, Fluor.: Warm White, Fluor.: Cool White, Fluor.: Day White, Fluor.: Daylight, Flash, C.Temp. / Filter, Custom
- WB Micro Adjustment
G7 to M7,57-step A7 to B7,29-step
- Shutter Speed
- iAuto(4" - 1/2000) / Program Auto(30" - 1/2000) / Manual(Bulb, 30" - 1/2000) / Aperture Priority(30" - 1/2000) / Shutter Priority(30" - 1/2000)
- Electronic Shutter
- iAuto (4" - 1 / 32000) / Program Auto (30" - 1 / 32000) / Manual (30" - 1 / 32000) / Aperture Priority (30" - 1 / 32000) / Shutter Priority (30" - 1 / 32000)
- iAuto (F1.8 / F11 (W) ) / Program Auto (F1.8 / F11 (W) ) / Manual (F1.8 / F11 (W) ) / Shutter Priority (F1.8 / F11 (W) ) / Aperture Priority (F1.8 / F11 (W) )
- Image Control
- Contrast , Saturation , Sharpness , Creative Style , Colour Space (sRGB / Adobe RGB) , Quality (RAW / RAW&JPEG / Extra fine / Fine / standard)
- Noise Reduction
- Long exposure NR: On / Off, available of shutter speeds longer than 1 / 3 s , high ISO NR: Normal / Low / Off , Multi Frame NR: Auto, ISO200-25600
- Dynamic Range Functions
- Off, Dynamic Range Optimizer (Auto / Level 1-5) , Auto High Dynamic Range (Auto Exposure Difference, Exposure difference Level (1.0-6.0EV, 1.0EV step) )
- Shooting Mode
- AUTO (Intelligent Auto / Superior Auto) , Program Auto, Aperture Priority, Shutter Speed Priority, Manual Exposure, MR (Memory Recall) 1,2,3,M1,M2,M3,M4, movie Mode (Program Auto, Aperture Priority, Shutter Speed Priority, Manual Exposure) , HFR Mode (Program Auto, Aperture Priority, Shutter Speed Priority, Manual Exposure) , Panorama, Scene Selection
- Scene Selection
- Portrait, sports Action, Macro, Landscape, Sunset, Night Scene, Handheld Twilight, Night Portrait, Anti Motion Blur, Pet Mode, Gourmet, Fireworks, High Sensitivity
- Continuous Shooting Speed (maximum) (with max. recording pixels)
- Continuous Shooting Hi: approx. 24 fps, Continuous Shooting Mid: approx. 10 fps, Continuous Shooting Low: approx. 3.5 fps
- 10s / 5s / 2s / 3 or 5 consecutive shots with 10s 5s or 2s delay selectable / Bracketing shots with 10s 5s or 2s delay selectable
- Drive Modes
- Single, Continuous shooting, Self-timer, Self-timer (cont.) , Cont.-bracketing, Single-bracketing, White balance bracketing, DRO bracketing
- Panorama (Shooting)
- Sweep Panorama
- Picture Effect
- Still Image:Toy camera, Pop Color, Posterization, Retro Photo, Soft High-key, Partial, Color, High, Contrast, Mono., Soft, Focus, HDR, Painting, Richtone, Monochrome, Miniature, Watercolor, Illustration, Movie:Toy camera, Pop Color, Posterization, Retro Photo, Soft High-key, Partial Color, High Contrast Mono.
- Creative Style
- Standard, Vivid, Neutral, Clear, Deep, Light, Portrait, Landscape, Sunset, Night Scene, Autumn Leaves, Black & White, Sepia, Style Box
- Picture Profile
- off / PP1-PP7 (Black Level, Gamma (movie, Still, Cine1-2, ITU709, ITU709 [800%], S-Log2) , Black Gamma, Knee, colour Mode, colour Level, colour Phase, colour Depth, Detail, Copy, Reset)
- Auto Image Rotation
- Focus Type
- Fast Hybrid AF (phase-detection AF / contrast-detection AF)
- Metering Mode
- Multi Pattern, Center Weighted, Spot
- Number of Recognised Scenes
- Still Image:Superior Auto: 44 / iAuto: 33, Movie:44
- Flash Mode
- Auto / Flash On / Slow Synchro / Rear Sync / Flash Off
- Flash Type
- Built-in, manual pop-up
- AF Illuminator
- Auto / Off
- Flash Range
- ISO Auto: Approx.0.4m to 10.2m (1.31 ft. to 33.46 ft.) (W) / Approx. 0.4m to 6.5m (1.31 ft. to 21.33 ft.) (T), ISO12800: up to Approx. 20.4m (66.93 ft.) (W) / Approx. 13.0m (42.65 ft.) (T)
- Compatible Recording Media
- Memory Stick Duo, Memory Stick PRO Duo, Memory Stick PRO Duo(High Speed), Memory Stick PROHG Duo, Memory Stick Micro, Memory Stick Micro (Mark2), SD Memory Card, SDHC Memory Card(UHS-I), SDXC Memory Card(UHS-I), microSD Memory Card, microSDHC Memory Card, microSDXC Memory Card
- Recording Format
- Still Image:JPEG(DCF Ver.2.0,Exif Ver.2.31,MPF Baseline compliant), RAW (Sony ARW 2.3 format), Movie:XAVC S, AVCHD format Ver.2.0 compatible, MP4
- Recording Format (Movie Audio)
- XAVCS: LP cm 2ch, AVCHD: Dolby Digital (AC-3) 2ch (Dolby Digital Stereo Creator) , MP4: MPEG-4 AAC-LC 2ch
- Colour Space (Still)
- sRGB, Adobe RGB
- Still Image Number of recorded pixels (Image Size)
- Image Size:3:2mode:20M(5,472×3,648) / 10M(3,888×2,592) / 5M(2,736×1,824),4:3mode:18M(4,864×3,648) / 10M(3,648×2,736) / 5M(2,592×1,944) / VGA,16:9mode:17M(5,472×3,080) / 7.5M(3,648×2,056) / 4.2M(2,720×1,528),1:1mode:13M(3,648×3,648) / 6.5M(2,544×2,544) / 3.7M(1,920×1,920) ,Sweep Panorama:Wide(12,416×1,856/5,536×2,160),Standard(8,192×1,856/3,872×2,160), Image Size during Movie:16:9mode:17M(5,472×3,080) / 7.5M(3,648×2,056) / 4.2M(2,720×1,528)
- Movie Recording Mode (NTSC)
- NTSC/PAL Selector: [NTSC] AVCHD: 28M PS(1,920x1,080/60p) / 24M FX(1,920x1,080/60i) / 17M FH(1,920x1,080/60i) / 24M FX(1,920x1,080/24p) / 17M FH(1,920x1,080/24p), XAVC S 4K: 30p 100M(3,840x2,160/30p) / 30p 60M(3,840x2,160/30p) / 24p 100M(3,840x2,160/24p) / 24p 60M(3,840x2,160/24p), XAVC S HD:60p 50M(1,920x1,080/60p) / 30p 50M(1,920x1,080/30p) / 24p 50M(1,920x1,080/24p) / 120p 100M(1,920x1,080/120p) / 120p 60M(1,920x1,080/120p), MP4: 28M(1,920x1,080/60p) / 16M(1,920x1,080/30p) / 6M(1,280x720/30p)
- Movie Recording Mode (PAL)
- NTSC/PAL Selector: [PAL] mode AVCHD: 28M PS(1,920x1,080/50p) / 24M FX(1,920x1,080/50i) / 17M FH(1,920x1,080/50i) / 24M FX(1,920x1,080/25p) / 17M FH(1,920x1,080/25p), XAVC S 4K: 25p 100M(3,840x2,160/25p) / 25p 60M(3,840x2,160/25p), XAVC S HD:50p 50M(1,920x1,080/50p) / 25p 50M(1,920x1,080/25p) / 100p 100M(1,920x1,080/100p) / 100p 60M(1,920x1,080/100p), MP4: 28M(1,920x1,080/50p) / 16M(1,920x1,080/25p) / 6M(1,280x720/25p)
Recording NTSC/PAL Selector: [PAL] mode XAVC S HD:50p 50M(1,920x1,080/250fps), 50p 50M(1,920x1,080/500fps), 50p 50M(1,920x1,080/1000fps) / 25p 50M(1,920x1,080/250fps), 25p 50M(1,920x1,080/500fps), 25p 50M(1,920x1,080/1000fps), NTSC/PAL Selector: [NTSC] mode XAVC S HD:60p 50M(1,920x1,080/240fps), 60p 50M(1,920x1,080/480fps), 60p 50M(1,920x1,080/960fps) / 30p 50M(1,920x1,080/240fps), 30p 50M(1,920x1,080/480fps), 30p 50M(1,920x1,080/960fps) / 24p 50M(1,920x1,080/240fps), 24p 50M(1,920x1,080/480fps), 24p 50M(1,920x1,080/960fps) Sensor Readout Number of effective pixels Quality Priority:240fps/250fps(1,824x1,026),480fps/500fps(1,676x566),960fps/1000fps(1,136x384)/Shoot Time Priority:240fps/250fps(1,676x566),480fps/500fps(1,136x384),960fps/1000fps(800x270)
- Still Image Number of recorded pixels (Image Size) during Movie
- 16: 9mode: 17M (5,472x3,080) / 7.5M (3,648x2,056) / 4.2M (2,720x1,528)
- Input and Output Terminals
- Multi / Micro USB Terminal, Hi-Speed USB (USB2.0) , Micro HDMI
- NFC forum Type 3 Tag compatible, One-touch remote, One-touch sharing
- Yes (IEEE802.11b / g / n (2.4GHz band) )
- Power source
- DC3.6V (supplied battery) / DC5.0V (supplied AC Adaptor)
- Battery System
- Rechargeable battery pack NP-BX1
- Power Consumption (Camera Mode)
- Approx. 2.6W with LCD monitor and approx. 3.0W with viewfinder (CIPA standard)
- USB Charge/USB Power Supply
- Yes (Shooting, Playback,)
- Battery Life(Still Images)
- Monitor:Approx. 220 / Approx. 110min., ViewFinder:Approx. 210 / Approx. 105min.
- Battery Life(Movies actual shooting)
- Monitor:Approx. 35min., ViewFinder:Approx. 35min. (In [MP4 28M] mode, max. continuous shooting time is approx. 20 min. and max. file size is 4GB)
- Battery Life(Movies continuous shooting)
- Monitor:Approx. 65min., ViewFinder:Approx. 65min. (In [MP4 28M] mode, max. continuous shooting time is approx. 20 min. and max. file size is 4GB)
- PlayMemories Camera Apps
- Photo Creativity
- Shooting Functions
- Eye AF, Face Detection, Face Registration, Still Image Recording (during movie recording) , Smile shutter, Grid Line, Quick Navi, Digital Level Gauge (pitch and roll) , WB Bracket, DRO Bracketing, MF Assist, Peaking, Zebra, Marker Display, Micref Level, Step Zoom / Quick Zoom, Self-portrait timer, TC / UB, Photographer Name & Copyright, ISO Auto Minimum Shutter Speed, PC Remote Controll, Gamma Disp. Assist, AF Track Sensitivity, AF Drive Speed
- Playback Functions
- BRAVIA Sync (Control for HDMI) , 9 / 25-frame index view, Auto Orientation, Slide Show, Forward / Rewind (movie) , Delete, Protect, Motion Shot Video, Beatuty Effect
- TRILUMINOS Color
- 4K image output
- Operating Temperature
- 0 degrees C. - +40 degrees C. / 32 degrees F. - 104 degrees F.
- Exif Print, PRINT Image Matching (PIM3)
Size & Weight
- Dimensions (W x H x D)
- 101.6x58.1x41.0 mm(4 in. × 2 3/8 in. × 1 5/8 in.)
- Approx. 299g (10.5oz.)(Battery and Memory Stick Duo are included) / Approx. 272g (9.6oz.)(Body Only)
What's In The Box
- Rechargeable Battery Pack NP-BX1
- AC AdaptorAC-UUD12
- Micro USB cable
- Wrist Strap
- Strap adapter
- Instruction Manual
ZEISS® Vario-Sonnar T* lens for rich depiction
Large-diameter ZEISS® Vario-Sonnar T* 24-70mm F1.8-2.8 lens allows wide-angle shooting out to 24mm. Maximum aperture of F2.8 brightness at the telephoto end enables shooting images without camera shake and subject motion blur and capturing photos (such as portraits) with beautiful background bokeh. ZEISS® T* Coating reduces ghost and flare.
Exmor RS™ CMOS sensor for speed
The newly developed 20.1 effective MP 1.0-type stacked CMOS image sensor with DRAM chip enables up to 960 fps super slow motion shooting and super high-speed Anti-Distortion Shutter up to 1/32000 sec. that are too fast for human eyes to perceive. Moreover, 315-point focal plane phase detection AF provides for extraordinarily precise autofocusing and tracking performance.
BIONZ X™ for superior detail and texture
As the engine that powers the conversion of light captured by an image sensor into digital images, the BIONZ X image processing engine is as essential to the RX100 V as its lens and sensor. High-speed BIONZ X enables this camera to shoot photos and movies with truer, more natural details, richer tonal gradations and lower noise.
Dense, widespread 315-AF-point coverage
The world’s most focal-plane phase-detection AF points (315) cover approx. 65% of the entire image area of the newly developed image sensor. This makes AF coverage widespread and dense enough to quickly capture subjects, such as small or fast-moving ones that are otherwise difficult to focus on, throughout the image area.
Autofocus in just 0.05 sec.
Combining the superior speed of phase-detection AF and the outstanding accuracy of contrast-detection AF, the Fast Hybrid AF system featured for the first time in an RX100 series camera focuses in just 0.05 sec. in order to track and capture subjects precisely at the climactic moments you’re aiming for.
Smooth-tracking continuous shooting up to 24fps
The RX100 V can perform high-speed continuous shooting at higher than 20MP resolution and up to 24fps with AF/AE tracking. In addition, the camera reduces blackout on the electronic viewfinder and LCD screen, and this reduction makes for smoother monitoring of moving subjects and easier shooting of fleeting moments.
Silent shooting for sensitive situations
You can mute the camera’s shutter sound by making the following camera settings: "Shutter type: Electronic" and "Audio signals: Off". This way, you can shoot quiet scenes and noise-sensitive subjects in silence, even during continuous shooting.
AF-A mode automatically switches focus mode
In AF-A mode, the camera automatically switches between AF-S mode (Single AF: locks focus while the shutter button is pressed halfway) and AF-C mode (Continuous AF: keeps focusing on subjects while the shutter button is pressed halfway), according to such changes as sudden subject movement and brightness as detected throughout the shooting frame.
1/32000 sec. Anti-Distortion Shutter
Up to 1/32000 sec. Anti-Distortion Shutter works to minimise image distortion caused by the rolling shutter phenomenon. The extraordinarily fast shutter speed also allows you to produce photos with background defocusing using a large aperture setting even under extremely bright conditions at a maximum of EV19 .
Brilliant 4K movies
In shooting 4K (QFHD resolution: 3840 x 2160) movies with full pixel readout without pixel binning, the camera collects approx. 1.7 times as much information as is required for basic 4K movie output. This oversampling effect results in images of outstanding resolution with reduced moiré and jaggies.
Introducing Fast Hybrid AF for movies to the RX100 series
Fast Hybrid AF keeps images sharp and clear during the shooting of high-resolution 4K movies , thanks to the system’s focal plane phase-detection AF sensor that enables accurate focusing and tracking performance.
Photo Capture creates clear stills from movies
Photo Capture function lets you select a moment from a 4K movie in playback and save it in the form of a highly detailed still image file of over 8 megapixels. Likewise, you can create a 2-megapixel still image file from a Full HD movie that has been recorded.
Up to double-length 960fps super slow motion
Using the mode dial to select HFR, it’s easy to create super slow motion movies containing split-second moments of action. Choose shooting frame rates of 960/1000fps, 480/500fps, or 240/250fps (NTSC/PAL) , depending on speed of a moving subject. Image quality is nearly Full HD at 240/250 fps, and HD at 480/500 fps in Quality Priority mode. The end trigger mode also enables you to record 4 or 6 seconds before the MOVIE button is pressed, letting you capture the decisive moment.
Bright XGA OLED Tru-Finder™ shows what you aim for
The retractable Tru-Finder electronic viewfinder’s sharp resolution equivalent to 2359k dots, bright self-illumination and high contrast are excellent for previewing shots and adjusting settings accordingly. EVF eyepiece optics are treated with ZEISS® T* Coating to reduce unwanted reflections and ensure corner-to-corner visibility.
Control ring for advanced photography
Convenient lens-mounted control ring allows you to operate pro-style manual control such as selecting shutter speed, aperture, and more for added creative command — another feature making this camera an ideal choice for serious photographers.
180˚ tiltable LCD screen for flexible composition
High-resolution 3.0-type screen with tilt capability is perfect for taking selfies and framing of otherwise impossible overhead or low-angle shots. You can use it in high/low shooting positions for greater flexibility in capturing creative compositions.
Custom button creative convenience
The custom (C) button allows you to program one of over 40 possible functions to best adapt the camera’s capabilities to your shooting style. By assigning a frequently used function or a preferred setting to this button, you can call it up promptly. You’ll gain handy fingertip access to your selection — for faster, more intuitive camera operation.
Shoot almost anywhere with wide ISO sensitivity
Sensitivity extends right up to ISO 12800, for crisper images in extremely low light. Let Auto ISO mode determine the most appropriate setting automatically, or manually expand sensitivity as low as ISO 80. The camera also allows you to set up lower limit shutter speed at time of Auto ISO setting.
Dual Rec still shooting during movie recording
Shoot still images of 17MP while recording a movie. The camera enables you to capture impressive high-quality stills even in movie-shooting. Auto Dual Rec release function lets the camera automatically take photos during movie recording. Select frequency of Auto Dual Rec release from high/standard/low settings.
This function that boosts image brightness, for example, can be assigned to a customisable button for easy access when shooting a starry sky or other dark scene.
MF Assist and Peaking functions for focus refinement
These features help you fine-tune the focus as you desire. Manual Focus (MF) Assist magnifies the area you are focusing on to enable more precise adjustment, while Peaking highlights the sharpest or most in-focus area with your choice of colour to help determine whether further focusing adjustment is required.
Lock-on AF for enhanced photo opportunities
Simply press the shutter button halfway to activate Lock-on AF . It automatically adjusts the AF target frame size to match the subject size, improve tracking performance, and take full advantage of every photo opportunity.
Eye AF in AF-C mode
Eye AF is now available in AF-C mode in this camera. This means it automatically focuses on and even tracks focus on a subject’s eye as the face moves, extending your freedom to frame a shot.
Choose pro-quality XAVC S or AVCHD movie format
Especially for serious videographers, XAVC S format provides low compression for high-quality movie expression and minimal noise even in scenes full of movement. You also have AVCHD format for easy editing and sharing. This camera uses 4K codec supporting 4K movie recording at up to 100Mbps and additionally enables Full HD image recording.
Diverse movie functions supporting pro-style usage
Various available movie functions include Picture Profile (that determines the character of movies by changing basic parameters like chromogenic effects and gradation adjustment), S-Log2 gamma (that extends the dynamic range of recording to reduce occurrence of blown-out highlights and black crush), TC/UB, Rec Control, Dual Video Recording, etc.
File Name Setting
The camera lets you change the first three characters of any file name from "DSC" (by default) to three characters of your choice. This simplifies file management and is especially valuable when working with multiple cameras for various assignments.
One-touch remote/ One-touch sharing
With one-touch remote, a smartphone or tablet functions as a viewfinder/remote control. One-touch sharing transfers photos/videos to the device. Just install a PlayMemories Mobile™ app via Wi-Fi to an NFC-enabled Android device, then touch the device to the camera to connect them. QR code compatibility allows connection with non-NFC smartphones.
PlayMemories Camera Apps™
Sony’s application download service lets you add new functions and capabilities to your camera. There are apps for photo and movie effects to enhance and express your creativity, and others to allow your smartphone to function as a camera’s remote control, for example.
Capture One Express (for Sony)
Capture One Express (for Sony) is one of the world’s best RAW converters for rendering colours and details with incredible precision. The product contains flexible digital asset management, all essential adjustment tools and fast, responsive performance in one customisable integrated solution. Note: Please contact Phase One regarding all inquiries as to usage and support including functional compatibility of Capture One Express (for Sony).
Works with iMovie and Final Cut Pro X
This product is compatible with Final Cut Pro X and iMovie.